Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Copper Creek Golf Course at Copper Mountain

After 22 straight days of 90+ degree heat in Denver I was ready to escape to the mountains. I headed to Copper Mountain with my wife to try out the Copper Creek Golf Course. It was 102 degrees when we left Denver. 45 minutes later we pulled into the Dillon Dam Brewery where we stepped out of the car into crisp 60 degree mountain air. Talk about refreshing!

We arrived at Copper Mountain and checked into our condo in Passage Point. It was late in the evening so we opted to stay in and veg out with the TV. We opened the doors and windows of our condo and enjoyed the cool mountain air. Did I say "refreshing" yet?

Our 10:30 tee time gave us time to sleep in a bit, cook breakfast, and grab a Starbucks in the Village before heading to the golf course. We've never played Copper Creek so we were excited. I've seen the course before, but it's usually buried under a few feet of snow. There are several holes at the base of the mountain that I did not even know existed. Sure, I've SKIED the 18th hole, but this was my first time teeing off from that slope!

The Starter at the course was friendly and helpful. He explained that Copper Creek is the highest 18 hole championship course in the U.S. The thinner air allows balls to fly 18% further than at sea level. I have to take his word on that. What I do know is that I cranked one drive 270 yards. As a 25 handicap player that might be my longest drive ever.

Did I mention how nice the weather is in Colorado's mountains in the summer? The high that day was 65 degrees with some scattered clouds. It was 100 degrees in Denver.

I recognized the tee box for the first hole as a ridge that makes a nice little jump in the winter. Not until just now did I recognize the first fairway as a green run that leads to the Super-Bee chairlift! The front nine slides away from the mountain and runs among the condos at Copper Mountain. I admit that I lost a few balls to the many water features that dominate these holes.

The back nine snakes around the Fairway Neighborhood with long and tight fairways. Starting with the 12th the course opens up with views of the Sky Chutes and the 10 Mile Range. We both agreed that we prefer the back nine where the course winds up the lower flanks of Copper Mountain. The trees provide that "mountain" feel and the terrain is more interesting. The 18th starts high above the green and begs you to let loose with your driver. Unfortunately, I let loose with a giant divot. Not what I wanted, but hey, it was a great day of golf in the mountains!